Saturday, September 27, 2008

personalized clocks

Try playing these at the same time and see if you notice the difference between them. They are still in the experimental phase, but I think I'm getting somewhere. The top video is supposed to represent a person who felt like their day went by really fast (10 frames per second), whereas the lower video is a slower day (only 5 frames per second). When viewed small like this, though, it's hard to tell. I think it will be more successful when days are layered into weeks and you can see the change in speed between one day and the next within the same video.


I can't figure out why quicktime keeps stretching the video and making the circles into ovals. It doesn't happen with larger AVI files, just these smaller ones. But the larger files are too big to upload to blogger, so these will have to do for now.

The next step is to actually collect information about different peoples' experience of a day. I've made up a survey for people to fill out, but the question is who to study. One idea is to randomly select 100 people from my local phonebook and send them the survey in the mail with an explanation about the project and a self-addressed pre-stamped envelope so they can return it to me when it's done. I am excited about the possibility of sending each participant a dvd of their "clock" and documentation of the whole project once it's complete.

No comments: