Friday, July 23, 2010

I appreciate wavering lines but I do not make them

"I like things that are handmade and I like to see people's hand in the world, anywhere in the world; it doesn't matter to me where it is. And in my own work, I do everything by hand. I don't project or use anything mechanical, because even though I do spend a lot of time trying to perfect my line work and my hand, my hand will always be imperfect because it's human. And I think it's the part that's off that's interesting, that even if I'm doing really big letters and I spend a lot of time going over the line and over the line and trying to make it straight, I'll never be able to make it straight. From a distance it might look straight, but when you get close up, you can always see the line waver. And I think that's where the beauty is." -Margaret Kilgallen

Lately I've been trying to figure out why I like to hire people to make things for my artwork instead of doing it myself (for instance, my inflatable self-portrait was made by an advertising company). It's not that I think I'm incapable. It's almost like it's more fun to let other people make some of the decisions. The outcome is more of a surprise that way. And also, I think I'm too much of a perfectionist. I'd never allow my own lines to waver, but I always appreciate the way other peoples' do. So perhaps by giving some control away I allow those beautiful imperfections to occur that would otherwise be erased by my anal retentive instincts. 

I think I also like the idea of hiring people because it gets more people involved in the project. It feels lees like a selfish, solo enterprise, and more like a community undertaking. The people who do work for me are forced to care about the work, at least to a degree, not only because they're paid to but because they contributed some of their creativity to it. So, if the final work of art is like an umbrella (metaphorically speaking), the more people that are involved in its making, the bigger the umbrella grows, and the more people can huddle together under it when it rains.

No comments: