Friday, July 20, 2012

Persistence of Vision

I've been playing around with a Spoke POV kit, and I think I'm going to use it to make an electronic version of Duchamp's Bicycle Wheel. A motor will spin the wheel continuously, and LED's will blink at a specific speed to allow legible text or an image to appear within the spokes. I haven't figured out what to say yet... at the moment I'm deciding between saying something funny like "Duchamp Rules," or using a GIF image I found on the internet of a dancing red flame.

The flame idea comes from reading about how Duchamp said that watching the light reflecting off of wheel's spokes was like watching "flames dancing in a fireplace." I think it's a shame that Duchamp intended for the wheel to spin, but that museums insist that it remains static. I read somewhere that Duchamp himself was once yelled at by a museum security guard for touching and spinning his own sculpture when he was explaining it to a friend.

Anyway, here is an image of the work in progress. I am going to take the tire and tube off of the wheel so it's just the silver rim. And I might paint the stool (which I bought at Target) white. The image/text will completely fill the circular frame once the wheel is spinning at a faster and more consistent speed. As it is now, you can see the S and P that spell "Spoke POV."

1 comment:

LED Sign said...

This is certainly one of the most valuable posts. Great tips from beginning till end. Lots of suggestions for me and for people. Superb work