Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Opening in Philadelphia this Friday!


26 S. Strawberry St., Philadelphia, PA
Opening Reception: Friday, October 2nd, 6-9pm 


I am going to be showing some pre-graduate school work at Hudson Beach Glass Gallery, in Philadelphia, for the month of October. It's a series of 343 drawings, which were made of literally every clothing item I owned back in 2006. Each drawing is 3" x 5", made with pencil and colored pencil on paper, and they will be sold individually for $10 each. 


Unfortunately, I won't be able to go to the opening. But if you are in the area you should check it out! First Friday in Old City is always a good time, and my friend Jenna Efrein will be doing a glass blowing demonstration. I will, however, be attending the whiskey tasting that the gallery is holding next Friday, October 9th. 


All My Clothes (not to scale) was one of a series of studies I made in 2006 that related to issues of identity. I chose to focus on my personal wardrobe because I wanted to demystify the persona of an "artist", and question why that identification is so often manifested through visual appearance and fashion trends. I decided to catalogue everything I owned by drawing each item in detail with pencil and colored pencil, 343 items in all. By showing people everything I wear, even my underwear and house slippers, I hoped to establish a sense of commonality. Because everyone wears underwear, or at least most people do, and we all know what it's like to lose a sock.





No comments: