Tuesday, January 1, 2008

inflatable self portrait



The idea behind this project came from my love for those inflatable "tube men" that you see at car dealerships and other such establishments, usually advertising for a grand opening of some kind.  Those things make me laugh so much...the way they move...it's hysterical.  I imagined making one that looked like me, and how that object would interact with people - essentially I would be advertising myself in one sense, and in another sense turning myself into a ridiculous spectacle.  One thing led to another, I googled "wacky arm flailing tube man" (it turns out that they are known in the business as "sky dancers"), and eventually emailed a few companies to find out how much it would cost to get one made in my image.  The first company that I dealt with sent me these ridiculous drawings.  Obviously I did not hire them, but got a good laugh out of it.

No comments: